Monday, August 3, 2009

The Wedding Week

Angela's and Michael's wedding was really an event. There was partying from Monday to Saturday...the day of the wedding. Guests came from Hong Kong, Colombia, London, and all over th USA. The church is right on the water, tiny, rustic, with a window behind the altar facing the bay.
The wedding rehearsal was frantic.. with six bridesmaids and six groomsmen. I could see the priest was thoroughly discombobulated. The ceremony was quiet, but the picture taking was like papparazzi after rock stars.
Frankly, meeting all the people whom I hadn't seen in about 30 years, sitting next to Doug and Nubia, made me withdraw as though I were in a dream world. It's as though I were watching the entire scene, but not part of it. I can't explain my feelings. Did I finally have to admit that Nancy was gone? Why wasn't she here at her daughter's wedding?
The whole picture opened old wounds that had never really healed. I know Tony felt the same way. We were so happy that our beautiful granddaughter, Angela, whose mother died when she was just 9 months old, was getting married to live happily ever after. But the sadness of our loss welled up only to make us realize that the lives of her friends and her husband had gone on. We've always felt that Angela was Nancy's gift to us, and Angela has been the most loving, thoughtful granddaughter
any grandparent could hope for. But I will have to work through these feelings at another time. Enough for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment